• Syke (Germany)
There is one main street, formerly the only road connection between the cities of Bremen and Hanover, so Syke town alongside this road is almost 1000 years old. Now the main street is a quite shopping street with a food market on Saturdays. Syke has even got a cinema.
If you want to enjoy nature and history, you can go for long walks in the large forests surrounding the town or to the “Kreismuseum” with many exhibits from Syke’s past and where many projects for students and special crafts fairs take place.
From Syke you can communicate in 17 minutes by train to the centre of Bremen, and there you can have a lot of fun. Syke is twinned with La-Chartre in France and Warzesno (near Torun) in Poland. Syke’s symbol is the bear, also its paw in the crest.
Curiously, Syke has gained national fame because the fire-brigade’s station burnt down twice within a few years.
• Parabiago (Italy)
The school is situated in an urban area characterized by shoes factories and services that are getting more and more important. Parabiago is situated 20 km far from Milan, in the north of Italy, in an area where there are a lot of small and big factories specialised in textiles, shoes and mechanics. It has got a population of about 30.000 inhabitants. There are a lot of theories about the name of PARABIAGO, but the most important is connected to the tradition and means “soft land”. In fact the name Parabiago derives from PARA +MEL, that means “marshy place”. Probably the contemporary name derives from the roman period: PARA+BLE. There are some Roman witnesses and we have some nice residences of noble or wealthy people.
Nowadays Parabiago is famous for shoes. In fact there are a lot of big factories that after the second world war became important and integrated in the national market. Today Parabiago is known all over the world for its multinational shoes factories, probably the most famous is “Rossetti” whose shoes can be bought in NewYork, Tokyo, London as well as for the world famous “espresso coffee machines” factory, “ Rancilio”. We also have a biggest Bonsai centre in Italy with a Bonsai University
main airport of Malpensa is not very far from us and we are ten minutes from the area where the EXPO will be held in 2015, for this reason it will be very important for our students to know as many languages as possible in order to find a job in this sector. New professions have been created in this context and flexibility, autonomy, self learning abilities, communicative skills are requested. We think that the school has to offer good opportunities and facilities to all the ones that would like to study or work at a European level in a market characterized by globalization and competition. Besides we think it is very important to have experiences and contacts with other students in other countries in order to develop their awareness of the European dimension through cooperation.This exchange of ideas and experiences fosters a deeper understanding of our place in Europe and develops a culture of friendship among students from different schools, cultures and backgrounds.
Nicolaus Copernicus Monument: The monument of Nicolaus Copernicus stands in the Old Marketplace, in front of the Town Hall. It was created in 1853 by a sculptor from Berlin, Fryderyk Tieck. The monument is cast in bronze and represents Copernicus clad in professor’s robe holding an armillary sphere in his left hand. There is an inscription in Latin engraved on the granite plinth: “Nicolaus Copernicus, a citizen of Torun, moved the earth and halted the Sun and the sky”.
Copernicus House: Location: Kopernika street 15/17 (formerly saint Ann street). The two houses number 15 and 17 still hide the secret of the birth of the great citizen of Torun, Nicolaus Copernicus. Probably, Copernicus was born in the large house no. 15, built in the turn of XIV/XV centuries. Nicolaus Copernicus was born in Torun on 19 February 1473. Nowadays, in both houses a division of the District Museum is situated under the name of “Museum of Copernicus House”.
There are two main theories surrounding Bendinat’s naming origin. An ethnological one is that after the 12 September 1229 battle for the conquest of Majorca, King James of Aragon, who was famished, came upon a tent with one of his lieutenants where a meal was being prepared. The host for that meal was Oliver de Termes, a Frenchman of Roussilon. After eating to their satisfaction, the king declared Ben dinat (Catalan: “well dined”). The other naming theory is geographical in context as in the 13th century, an old Islamic farmhouse in the area was named Bendinex.